Central High School
Central High School is ranked 21st in Minnesota on US News & World Report’s list of Best High Schools. It is also the oldest high school in the state (founded in 1866) and its alumni includes more Rhodes Scholars than any other public high school in the country.
Located in St. Paul’s Union Park neighborhood, the school serves students in grades 9 through 12.
Students here have the opportunity to participate in Advanced Placement® course work and exams. A little fewer than half choose to do so.
What students do seem to enjoy are the many unique electives offered at Central. These include broadcast journalism, touring theatre and the visual arts program, among others.
Central offers five college prep options. These include:
- International Baccalaureate – a global pre-university program. Central offers more than 80 IB courses.
- Advanced Placement – Central offers 14 AP classes.
- Quest – a humanities-based curriculum. Central offers 20 Quest classes.
- College in the Schools – students earn college credits for CIS classes.
- Post-Secondary Enrollment Options Program – Juniors and seniors may enroll in college or technical institute courses through this program.
Extracurricular activities at Central High include:
- An athletic program: football, tennis, swimming, track and field, cross-country running and skiing, wrestling, badminton, baseball and gymnastics.
- Honor society
- Jazz band
- Math team
- Science Olympiad
Around 64 percent of Central High School graduates continue their education at a 4-year college.
Central offers prospective students and their families a number of options to get to know the school and the campus. They hold an annual Specialized Academic Programs Night, a Parent Information Fair, a Central Showcase and shadowing. Daily building tours are held during the school year from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Call 651.744.4906 to schedule an appointment.
You’ll find Central High School at 275 North Lexington Parkway in Saint Paul.